Grief support: Share your story and learn from others about coping with the loss of a sibling.

Related articles:
Are There Actual Stages of Grief?
The Grief of Sibling Survivors
Running Through the Pain
Family Reorganization After a Loss
After a Tragedy: What Kids Can Do
The Value of Reminiscing
What to Say: Rocky Relationships

Views: 9664

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry for your losses. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I so understand your feelings. Know that i am here to chat with you anytime. Everyone's story is different, but it seems that the end result is all the same. Looking for some comfort and peace within our selves.My name is susan and i just join the site to that i can meet people with similar cases as mine am 24years old,average body and 5'4 tall and i was born in United State but came back to UK with my Uncle. when i was 15years old.Lost my both parent when i was 10years Old in a autocrash which i wan invovled too but i survived .I have just 1 relative that is my uncle here in UK that i live with. I run alittle boutik by myself. I sell female clothes and jewelries before i gave my life to Christ................you can contact me back
I am so sorry for your losses. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I so understand your feelings. Know that i am here to chat with you anytime. Everyone's story is different, but it seems that the end result is all the same. Looking for some comfort and peace within our selves.My name is susan and i just join the site to that i can meet people with similar cases as mine am 24years old,average body and 5'4 tall and i was born in United State but came back to UK with my Uncle. when i was 15years old.Lost my both parent when i was 10years Old in a autocrash which i wan invovled too but i survived .I have just 1 relative that is my uncle here in UK that i live with. I run alittle boutik by myself. I sell female clothes and jewelries before i gave my life to Christ.
I have always thought about adding my voice to a conversation like this but I have never had the guts to do it but I have decided that this is the time. I have had to deal with death in the past (I am a nurse) but nothing prepared me for the death of my only sibling. My brother Travis was killed in a car accident in 2002 just 10 days shy of his 19th birthday. He was a passenger in the vehicle and the only one killed. There was charges filed by the state and the driver was sentenced to 10 years and served 10 months. I graduated from nursing school in May of 2002 and started my first job in a fast paced ICU in July of 2002. I was super excited because it was at the biggest hospital in the state and I was going to get to take care of some of the sickest people. In August I awoke to a state trooper standing at my bedroom door asking me to come with him. I went upstairs and found my parents sitting on the stairs with dazed expressions on their faces. None of us could understand what the police were talking about, what did they mean by a fatality? Where was Travis and was he going to be okay? Not long after that people started showing up at our house even though it was after midnight and they kept coming all night and into the next day. After the medical examiner released his body we had his funeral and the town we lived in basically shut down. We had to have the funeral at the high school and even that was at full capacity. My brother was truly loved by everyone he came in contact with.

I now have a 3 year old daughter and she is at the age where she is asking about her Uncle Trav all the time. We have pictures around the house and she talks about him like she has always known him, when in truth she has never met him (at least in this life). Even though it is hard to tell the stories, I always want her to know that her Uncle Trav did exist and he was an unbelievable young man.

Finally after six years of dealing poorly with my grief I am going to start to go to counseling. I am still young and I know that I still have a lot more grief to deal with in the years to come.
Attachments:
Hi Erica.it has been 2yrs for me and when my son Kris was in his fatal car accident,my daughter was 5 months pregnant. My daughter and Kris was so close. She was the one who had to see and hear the news broadcast of her brother fatal accident. She had to hear them say the driver was killed instantly. I can still hear the words like it happened last night. Ma where is Kris,because Lennie said he is not answering his phone and that he didnot come home. Now her 2 yr. old when she see a picture of Kris She says Kis. Anywhere she sees his picture she know who he is. So my neice put a picture together when she was born of Kris holding Kristen in her arms it is so kool. Its like Kris got a chance to see her before he had the fatal accident. If you wold like to see the picture you can go to Kris memorial site and view the pictures the web site is legacy.com it is http://memorialsite.legacy.com/wemissyouKrisJP/Homepage.aspx I will continue praying for you and your daughter.
Thank you for your reply, I am a believer that Travis met my daughter even before we did. I found out I was pregnant on the 2nd anniversary of his death..what a gift. She has brought my family so much joy. I know the pain of losing a sibling but after having her in my life I can now see the difference between the loss of a sibling and the loss of a child. Some days I wonder how my parents even get out of bed so my heart goes out to you.
Hey Erica you know this site do offer a memorial site for your loved ones.than this will truly be something for you and your family to remember your brother by. The family and his pictures,or mabe video of the family. His auto biography,a journal just about everything to remember him by. you will enjoy this and have it for keep sake.
I took your advice and started a memorial site for my brother. My Mom is a lot like me and right from the start; six years ago, she started journaling and writing letters to Trav every night. She absolutely loved the site and even though I sit at my computer with tears running down my face downloading pictures and just remembering, I think that it has been good for me as well so thank you for the advice. The web address is:

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/tvd-1/Homepage.aspx

if you want to check it out.
Hi Erica,I love your web site of Travis. Tell your Mom keep up the good work. I don't know if you were able to view Kris site because I forgot to put the word web before site. If one thing is missing you won't be able to view it. I am going to try it gain. http://memorialwebsite.legacy.com/wemissyouKrisJP/Homepage.aspx
Still not able to view it Elaine
Wow there are some really fantastic pics on your site! Who made all of those? I especially like the one you told me about with Kris holding his niece that he never got a chance to meet.
Hello Elaine, Your memorial website is amazing. The laughter and the love in those picture are great. It is a great memory. I may do that for my lost. Thank you.

RSS

Latest Conversations

Community Guidelines

Please be respectful of others. For more information, read our Community Guidelines.

Follow Legacy

© 2019   Created by Legacy.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service