My husband was an Veteran and passed away, almost 5 months ago. He was 100% connected and disable, and receiving the maximum benefits. We were legaly married since he passed away on October 26,2009 VA stopped paying his benefits. I made a claim to start to receive spouse survivor benefits soon after my husband's death.I still waiting it is taking too long, they told me that it takes sometimes 6 months to a year to approve the claim, and start pay me benefits.

How they do expect the Veteran's wife and family to survive?
It is causing me so much fustration, and financial hardship.

Every time I call them....I just hear that they still work on my claim, and they have so many claims ahead of me.
Is there someone facing the same problem as I do regarding the Veterans Benefits?

I think the Veterans and their families are treated very unfair by VA.
They deserve respect, understand, and consideration. I thinking about contact the Congressman in my area in order to help me in this matter.

Thanks!

Views: 107

Replies to This Discussion

I am so surprised at this! Douglas was a 100% disabled Viet Nam veteran and receiving VA compensation. My widow benefit started immediately! What I haven't received is the month of death check and now my senator office is helping me with that. I used the DAV (Disabled American Vets) when I applied for widow benefits. Douglas died in July 2009 and September 1, 2009 I received my first widow benefit check for the month of August. Please try the DAV or better yet, your senator or congressman. That should get things moving. It does not take 5-6 months, that is a bunch of baloney!! Keep me posted on this. I might be able to give advice or help. The VA drives me insane!!
Hi Brigitte,

Thanks for your reply, I sure need some immediately help in this matter. I don't know if the law is different in each State....I live in Florida, what state do you live?
Also I don't know if the service connection works the same for all Veterans. My husband was discharged from Army due to his disability. He didn't die on service.
He was 100% connected and permanent disable. He must being screaming from his grave. We used to receive his benefits from direct deposit into our bank account. My husband passed away on October 26, 2009 and the check was deposited from VA next day on October 27, 2009 just a day after his death. VA immediately withdraw the benefit back from our account. I did fight for that with the Veterans Affairs Office, finally in the end of January VA sent me a check for the month of his death, you have to file a form and ask to be granted for the month of your husband's death. I am so fustrated Brigitte, even for my husband funeral I had to pay in full, in order to be reimbursed later on by VA, which I still waiting. Is that crazy???
Yes, it is a bunch of baloney!!! I am so tired of it.....VA is running me financially, I am losing everything!!!

Who is the Senator in your area?
Yes, I contacted the local Congressman in my area (in Florida is a Congresswoman) Debbie Wasserman by phone. They want I to fax a letter to them, explaining my problem att: To the Congresswoman(I sent her a e-mail over a month ago still waiting) I will try that....at VA no one give me an expecific answer...of how much and when I will get my spouse benefits.
I need help and faster!

Please keep me updated too, with the benefits for the months of your husband's death.....fight for it...like I did!
I will let you know what is going on. VA drives anyone insane.....I agree! But it is WRONG!!!!! Maybe all veterans spouses who are facing the same problem, should sign a petition.

Take Care....Olivia
I live in Washington State and believe me, the Federal Bldg in Seattle, WA does not have enough security guards. I have been in that VA office to the point we are now on a first name basis. Still don't have my month of death check but I will continue to be a pain in the rear until I get it!! I have filled out so much paperwork I could scream. Douglas was medically discharged from the Marine Corps in 1968 due to his tour and injuries in Viet Nam. This country and government still treat this population of veterans like the plague. Well, now they have to deal with me and I am not 1/4 as nice as Douglas!! Even though Douglas came home from Viet Nam it killed him in the end. Agent Orange is responsible for the Parkinson's and cancer. He is a hero in my book and the VA has not heard the last from me. I will check with some friends of mine in DC who have connections with the VA and Viet Nam Veteran's of America to see if they have any recommendations for you. I will keep you posted.

Peace,

Brigitte
Missmylove47 said:
Hi Brigitte,

Thanks for your reply, I sure need some immediately help in this matter. I don't know if the law is different in each State....I live in Florida, what state do you live?
Also I don't know if the service connection works the same for all Veterans. My husband was discharged from Army due to his disability. He didn't die on service.
He was 100% connected and permanent disable. He must being screaming from his grave. We used to receive his benefits from direct deposit into our bank account. My husband passed away on October 26, 2009 and the check was deposited from VA next day on October 27, 2009 just a day after his death. VA immediately withdraw the benefit back from our account. I did fight for that with the Veterans Affairs Office, finally in the end of January VA sent me a check for the month of his death, you have to file a form and ask to be granted for the month of your husband's death. I am so fustrated Brigitte, even for my husband funeral I had to pay in full, in order to be reimbursed later on by VA, which I still waiting. Is that crazy???
Yes, it is a bunch of baloney!!! I am so tired of it.....VA is running me financially, I am losing everything!!!

Who is the Senator in your area?
Yes, I contacted the local Congressman in my area (in Florida is a Congresswoman) Debbie Wasserman by phone. They want I to fax a letter to them, explaining my problem att: To the Congresswoman(I sent her a e-mail over a month ago still waiting) I will try that....at VA no one give me an expecific answer...of how much and when I will get my spouse benefits.
I need help and faster!

Please keep me updated too, with the benefits for the months of your husband's death.....fight for it...like I did!
I will let you know what is going on. VA drives anyone insane.....I agree! But it is WRONG!!!!! Maybe all veterans spouses who are facing the same problem, should sign a petition.

Take Care....Olivia

RSS

Latest Conversations

Marsha H commented on Steve Cain's group Bereaved Spouses
yesterday
Mary. Jane commented on Steve Cain's group Bereaved Spouses
yesterday
deborah peck commented on Steve Cain's group Bereaved Spouses
Wednesday
John is now a member of LegacyConnect
Tuesday

Community Guidelines

Please be respectful of others. For more information, read our Community Guidelines.

Follow Legacy

© 2021   Created by Legacy.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service