My best friend took her own life this past weekend. My world has been shattered. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't stop crying. Part of me feels like it died with her. Everyone else seems to be dealing with it okay, but I feel like my life has stopped. It will never be the same. She knew me more than anyone else, and I just miss her so badly. I guess I am just looking to find out if it ever gets any easier? Are there any coping strategies that work?? I keep telling myself, "Just breathe". If I don't tell myself, I am not real sure I will remember to. Please someone help, if anyone can...I can't live like this forever.

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Paula,
I'm so sorry for the loss of your best friend and the pain you must be experiencing. I know that pain only to well for I have also lost my best friend and love of my life about 3 weeks ago. I miss him dearly and cry everyday. My nights are lonely, but my days are getting better. You'll never forget your friend and how she ended her life, but the pain will slowly get easier to deal with. I look back at the first 2 weeks after my friend's suicide and just remember being so numb that I couldn't think straight. This week is much better. There's a very good book for survivors of suicide titled "Dying to be free". It gave me a very good understanding of what suicidal people feel like and how difficult it is for them to go on with life. I can't say it enough, read, read, read. Understand how hard it was for your friend to go on. Let the pain go, but keep her in your heart forever.
Deanna
I recently lost my brother to suicide a month ago and you do lose a part of you but that is what we have to understand to continue living our lives so we can accomplish our goals. I only have one big brother and he have two children just like me. We use to take our kids everywhere together and now i am lonely. I take the kids out to eat and to the parks it is difficult having the thought of not having him in my life as years approaches. I am 22yrs old and he was 23yrs old. I am taking the kids to the circus Thursday and it hurt so much that his present will not be there but i thank God for giving me the strength to take the kids to the circus. A part of me is gone completely because i no longer have a big brother physically along my side like your friend. It is very hard when you see everyone moves on and you are stuck, lost, still wondering why, but everyone has not forgotten your friend, it is just they are healing faster. I am not in a stable condition to explain how can you heal because i am far from healing but i can say surround yourself with great people because they will strongly support you.
Thank you Larry and Deanna. You both gave some good pointers. It has been a week tomorrow. This feels like it has been the longest week of my life to be honest. It feels as if it has lasted years. I am finally able to eat some now. I have even slept some. I do still break down and cry sometimes though. Sometimes it just can't be helped I guess. I got a pic of us together that I take everywhere with me. Refuse to take off the charm that she gave me, and am still holding onto my birthday card that she never quiet finished filling out for me from last year. My heart still hurts a lot. But I haven't had to remind myself to breathe much the last couple of days, so maybe I am on the road to recovery?? I still feel her presence around me though. I still talk to her, alone in my car, I will talk to her and tell her everything that is going on. Maybe I have flipped my biscuit. But I am not quiet ready to let go completely. I have become super close with her kids. I feel a connection with them, maybe I am just holding on to her thru them, but I feel as if they need me right now, and I need them. I am trying to be strong for them, trying to talk with them, and help them forgive themselves and her, and maybe even me. As her best friend, shouldn't she have been able to talk with me?? To tell me how she was hurting?? I feel as if I failed her sometimes. I feel sometimes like I failed her kids too. But I know she would want me to go on. She would want me to get thru this, so that is what I keep fighting to do. I just hope the weeks get shorter..I am drained.

larry kuykendoll said:
I recently lost my brother to suicide a month ago and you do lose a part of you but that is what we have to understand to continue living our lives so we can accomplish our goals. I only have one big brother and he have two children just like me. We use to take our kids everywhere together and now i am lonely. I take the kids out to eat and to the parks it is difficult having the thought of not having him in my life as years approaches. I am 22yrs old and he was 23yrs old. I am taking the kids to the circus Thursday and it hurt so much that his present will not be there but i thank God for giving me the strength to take the kids to the circus. A part of me is gone completely because i no longer have a big brother physically along my side like your friend. It is very hard when you see everyone moves on and you are stuck, lost, still wondering why, but everyone has not forgotten your friend, it is just they are healing faster. I am not in a stable condition to explain how can you heal because i am far from healing but i can say surround yourself with great people because they will strongly support you.

RSS

Latest Conversations

Melinda CANDACE Guinn left a comment for Linda
8 hours ago
Linda is now a member of LegacyConnect
15 hours ago
Marsha H commented on Steve Cain's group Bereaved Spouses
22 hours ago
Mary. Jane commented on Steve Cain's group Bereaved Spouses
yesterday

Community Guidelines

Please be respectful of others. For more information, read our Community Guidelines.

Follow Legacy

© 2019   Created by Legacy.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service