Grief support groups, condolence advice, funeral etiquette and more
I would like to know what decisions or difficulties people have had when dealing with a loved one personal belongings.
Latest Conversations: Oct 28, 2014
This group does not have any discussions yet.
Your group addresses one of my greatest issues. Following the death of my parents, I was left not only their belonging, but the belongings of my maternal grandmother and a large amount of paternal grandparents belonging. All my grandparents are dead. My parents, particularly my Mother, couldn't decide what to do these items (including houses and farms and all the equipment, clothes, and furniture). It has been nearly a year since my parents were killed in a wreck. In this year here is a list how my husband and I are tackling what feels like a gargantuan task.
1. Thorough cleaning and elimination all items that are unusable
2. Organization (this required a 2500 sq ft basement and a 2 car garage). We are organizing everything from farm machinery, to small tools, pictures, art, clothing, etc.
3. When we get one category complete (itemized, cleaned, displayed) we invite family and close friends to see if there is any thing they would like to have. This has worked remarkable well. I wasn't sure if they would be comfortable with it or not.
4. At some point we will likely sell some of the items that we can't use.
5. I am also refinishing lots of the furniture to use in the future.
6. I am not to this point just yet, however, my plan for my fathers overwhelming collection of tools is learn to weld so that I can transform some the tools into art.
7. Finally, we are constantly listening and looking for charities that need the items that we have. We've had success with giving away work gloves, some clothes, cleaning products, and heavy work clothes like over-alls
Sign Upor Sign In
Please be respectful of others. For more information, read our Community Guidelines.
© 2020 Created by Legacy.com.
Report an Issue |
Terms of Service
Please check your browser settings or contact your system administrator.